I saw on twitter that today is "World Homeless Day". As I browsed the hashtag "world homeless day" I was moved to make a post focusing on homelessness. Growing up I didn't know there are different types of homelessness; here is a good definition from PBS: "Different definitions of homelessness are used in different contexts. Generally, homelessness is defined as a person who "lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate night-time residence."'
Here are some quick facts on homelessness:
- 20% of homeless youth are L(esbian)G(ay)B(isexual)T(ransgender) - general youth population is only 10% LGBT
- 1 in 4 veterans is homeless in the United States
- 17.2 million of households in the United States experienced food insecurity in 2010 (that's over 1 in every 10 people)
- 41% of the homeless population is comprised of families
- WIDESPREAD HOMELESSNESS HAS NOT ALWAYS BEEN A MAJOR ISSUE (it began in the 1980s)
I know that this may seem like I am spewing data at you, but really - LOOK AT THE NUMBERS. It is insane how many people suffer from homelessness, or food insecurities.
Please get involved, you can help in many ways. You can volunteer (you can set up reoccurring volunteer times, or do a one time shift), but if you don't want to make that big of a commitment you can buy someone a meal, or carry around granola bars in your bag or car and hand them to people who are asking for money or food. If you live in a big city you see homeless people all the time, but even if you live in a small town or in the suburbs homelessness is still an issue! Please take a moment to research about the homelessness that affects your community, and think of ways you can help!
There are many plans for ending homelessness - it is just a matter of funding and help from people like YOU.
dress - gift from Madeline
vest - vintage
shoes - ebay